Drunk Elephant is a pretty new skincare brand for me. I started using some of their skincare products probably two months ago. If you are not familiar with the brand, they are a skincare brand that uses clean and effective ingredients (ingredients that are good for your skin). You will not find any essential oils, silicones, alcohol, chemical screens, fragrance and artificial dyes in their products.
They use the highest percentages of actives that are recommended, combining them with ideal pH levels that give effective results.
I had the pleasure of testing the C Firma Day Serum, B Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum, TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum, Protini Polypeptide Cream, TLC Sukari Babyfacial and their new A Passioni Retinol Cream.
First up, the serums. The Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum is a Vitamin C day serum that is packed with antioxidant complex and fruit enzymes which all help with skin firmness and brightness.
– potent antioxidant complex (15% L-ascorbic acid plus ferulic acid and 1% vitamin E): works to firm and brighten the look and feel of skin while improving the signs of photo aging that can be caused by pollution and other environmental stressors.
– chronocyclin: a chronopeptide that mimics the antioxidant benefits of vitamin d for more youthful-looking skin
– pumpkin ferment and pomegranate extract: work together to enzymatically dissolve dead surface skin cells, minimizing the appearance of pores and smoothing texture.
– vinis vinifera (grape juice): potent antioxidant that aids in improving skin tone.
– licorice root extract: helps to brighten and promote more even looking skin tone.
– indian gooseberry: an antioxidant-rich superfruit that helps neutralize oxidative stress while promoting firmness.
– sodium hyaluronate crosspolymer: (has a smaller molecular weight than hyaluronic acid) is able to penetrate skin deeply to deliver excellent hydration, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while promoting firmness.
– virgin marula oil: super-absorbable oil, high in critical antioxidants and omegas 6 and 9, helps nourish and rejuvenate skin for a youthful glow.
How to Use:
In the morning, apply evenly to clean, dry face, neck, chest and back of hands.
The C Firma serum has a runny orange colored texture. It is easy to spread and the skin soaks up the serum right away (it doesn’t leave a greasy feeling after use). Since Drunk Elephant doesn’t use any fragrance in their products, the scent is a little weird but it is not overpowering (I would take a natural scent over heavily fragranced skincare any day now).
I’ve been using this serum on and off for two months and I’ve noticed a difference in my skin tone (more even and less redness) but also in the texture of my skin (it is more smooth). I didn’t experience any reaction to it but my skin is not sensitive and can actually take a lot. If you are sensitive I would suggest either patch testing or easing in to it.
Also Drunk Elephant recommends using this up and not stocking up since it contains pure L-ascorbic acid and that one is best when it’s fresh. Always use an SPF when you are using a Vitamin C serum!
B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum is a serum that I use both in the morning and at night. It is a serum that is in a gel form that helps with hydration. It has Vitamin B and pineapple ceramide which attract and hold the moisture barrier of the skin.
– pro-vitamin B5: a humectant that attracts and holds hydration to the skin; helps to improve skin’s barrier function.
– sodium hyaluronate crosspolymer: with a smaller molecular weight than hyaluronic acid, it is able to penetrate skin and deliver intense hydration to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and promote firmness.
– pineapple ceramide: helps boost luminosity and improve the appearance of skin texture and tone.
– watermelon rind/apple/lentil complex: a natural antioxidant complex that provides 24 hour skin hydration, improve moisture retention and significantly reduce the appearance of fine lines.
– barberry extract: plant whose primary component, berberine, is an alkaloid that can have soothing and natural antibacterial properties.
How to Use:
Apply B-Hydra to face, neck, chest, hands or any place on your body needing increased hydration. Mix with any serum, cream or oil to lock it in.
I adore this serum. I usually mix it with the C-Firma or any other serum that I use that day. It has a thicker gel like texture so if the other serum that you are using is more runny, you apply it after that. I think B-Hydra has helped my skin tremendously this winter. I haven’t had any dry patches or heavy flaking and that is all thanks to the hydrating products I’ve been layering.
The TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum is a 12% AHA/BHA serum that helps with skin texture and the overall radiance of the skin. It has a clear gel like texture and goes easily on the skin.
– 12% T.L.C. Framboos™ AHA blend: (glycolic, (T) tartaric, (L) lactic, and (C) citric acids) exfoliates built-up dead skin cells, resurfacing dull, uneven skin for a smoother, brighter, more even-looking complexion.
–1% salicylic acid: loosens sebum to unclog pores while helping to soothe redness.
– raspberry fruit extract: rehydrates and soothes damaged skin, has antioxidant properties.
– cactus extract: helps to soothe skin while using AHAs.
– horse chestnut: helps improve the appearance of broken capillaries and redness.
– galactoarabinan: (polysaccharide extracted from larch trees) that acts as a gentle exfoliant and minimizes the appearance of fine lines while helping to inhibit moisture loss.
– phytostem buddleja davidii meristem cell culture: plant-derived, cultured stem cells with potent antioxidant properties that help defend against photodamage and oxidative stress.
– virgin marula oil: super-absorbable oil, high in critical antioxidants and omegas 6 and 9, helps nourish and rejuvenate skin.
– white tea leaf extract: potent antioxidant that provides soothing benefits.
– sodium hyaluronate crosspolymer: has a smaller molecular weight than hyaluronic acid and is able to deeply penetrate skin, delivering intense hydration, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while promoting firmness.
– yeast extract: brightens and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, helping to minimize skin stress and soothe redness.
How To Use:
At night, apply to a clean, dry face, neck, chest and backs of hands, avoiding the eye area. Very slight tingling may be experienced, particularly for the first few days of application. This typically dissipates as your skin becomes adjusted. Start slowly. Use the product every other night.
This is another serum that I highly recommend to anyone that suffers from dry patches, uneven skin tone and skin texture. After only using this serum once, I woke up with baby soft skin. My skin was smooth and also I noticed a more even skin tone. It is a quite potent serum so as Drunk Elephant suggests, start slowly especially if you have sensitive skin. I like to layer the TLC serum with the B Hydra and also a face oil like the Virgin Marula oil to prevent any dryness.
As with the Vitamin C serum, always wear your SPF when you are using acids as the skin is more sensitive and can burn easily.
Drunk Elephant A-Passioni Retinol Cream is the newest release from the brand. It is a retinol cream that has 1.0% vegan retinol plus nourishing superfood ingredients that help with fine lines and wrinkles, skin texture, sun damage and even breakouts.
1.0% retinol a pure form of vegan retinol, is one of the most well-researched ingredients in skincare capable of bringing balance to any skin concern. At a 1.0% concentration, retinol can dramatically improve the look and feel of uneven skin tone and texture, as well as ward off the damage done from daily exposure to UV rays, pollution or other free radicals.
triple peptide blend potent trio of peptides that helps firm and strengthen, boosting the age-fighting benefits of retinol.
winter cherry juice extracted from the seeds of the physalis fruit—not actually a cherry—an exotic native to Egypt that contains more pollution fighting antioxidant carotenoids than any other fruit or vegetable.
kale leaf extract of this superfood is loaded with essential vitamins A and E, supplying skin with powerful antioxidant compounds—think quercetin and beta carotene—along with replenishing plant sterols.
passionfruit, apricot and jojoba oils a curated blend of rich oils with moisturizing and skin-soothing benefits.
marula seed oil a super-absorbable moisturizing oil, high in antioxidants and omegas 6 and 9, that preserves and nourishes your skin while restoring its youthful glow.
xanthophyll potent carotenoid found in plants that exerts powerful defense against aging environmental and electronic-device emitted high energy visible (HEV) light, AKA blue light.
vitamin f soothing fatty acids (linolenic and linoleic) that work to improve skin’s texture, suppleness and help calm signs of sensitivity.
How To Use:
Morning or night, apply a pea-size amount or less to clean, dry face, avoiding the eye area. May be mixed with any Drunk Elephant cream or oil. Limit initial use to once or twice a week, gradually increasing frequency to every other night, and then every night as tolerated. Always use a broad spectrum sunscreen.
I started using the A Passioni slowly. I used it once a week at night and then gradually increased it to two and then three nights. I didn’t experience any drying or flaking of the skin as with other retinol products but also I didn’t experience any purging (some people have reported getting breakouts which means that the skin is getting a quick cell turnover which shows that the product is working).
For the past month, I’ve noticed a reduced appearance of the lines on my forehead and smoother skin (this is probably due to a combination of products). I love that the retinol cream comes in a tube which is easier to control how much product you dispense (you only need a pea size). Just a tip for me, use the tube as you are squeezing out a tooth paste so squeeze from the top. If you squeeze the tube in the middle you will get product oozing out every time you open the cap so you’ll end up with more product that you need.
I like mixing the A Passioni with a heavier hydrating cream. So I get a pea size amount of the A Passioni and mix with another moisturizer that I’m currently using. You can use the Protini cream or any other moisturizer that you prefer on day to day basis.
The Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream is a protein moisturizer that has peptides, amino acids and pygmy waterlily that all help with skin firmness and texture.
– 9 signal peptide complex (growth factors): 9 signal peptides (made up of amino acids that form proteins in the skin) are cell-communicating and serve to bind moisture to skin, plump, firm and restore bounce to skin’s appearance, helping to boost skin’s self-renewal
– pygmy waterlily stem cell extract: excellent source of antioxidants and nutrients to replenish the skin; extremely moisturizing, soothing and calming; effective in supporting healthy, youthful looking skin
– soybean folic acid ferment extract: is a b vitamin that plays a central role in maintaining youthful, elastic skin; skin becomes actively thirsty for folic acid, especially after exposure to sun
– acetyl glutamine: an amino acid that is a skin-identical and skin-repairing ingredient that can be effective for reversing past damage; has an inhibitory effect on melanin production
The Protini is a great every day moisturizer. It is not heavy on the skin but provides a lot of moisture even if you have dry skin. I can use this moisturizer both day and night and in every season. I like the press in dispenser as the product is protected and I also don’t have to dip my fingers in the cream which is always a plus.
And lastly, one of Drunk Elephant’s most popular product, the TLC Sukari Babyfacial. It is a AHA/BHA mask that helps with skin texture, dull skin and overall radiance. This at home facial gives similar results with the TLC Framboos Serum but it works quicker since it has a bigger percentage of the acids.
– 25% AHA blend (glycolic + (T) tartaric, (L) lactic, (C) citric acids): exfoliates surface dead skin cells and revs up surface turnover to smooth and brighten the appearance of skin.
– 2% salicylic acid (BHA): penetrates and exfoliates inside pore walls as well as on the surface of the skin, unclogging pores and providing greater skin clarity while also soothing redness.
– gram / chick pea flour: balances and brightens skin’s appearance while combating dullness.
– matcha (green tea leaf), milk thistle & apple extracts: potent antioxidant blend to neutralize pollution and environmental attack, helping to condition and soothe skin.
– pumpkin ferment extract: a rich source of fatty acids and antioxidant components carotene, lutein, and carotenoids; contains naturally occurring enzymes that aid in gentle exfoliation.
– pomegranate extract: potent antioxidant properties neutralizes pollution, free radicals and other damaging environmental stressors.
– cactus extract: soothes redness and sensitivity, helping to calm skin while using topical AHAs.
– passionfruit seed oil: has antioxidant properties, improves dryness and soothes redness.
– virgin marula oil: super-absorbable oil, high in critical antioxidants and omegas 6 and 9, helps hydrate, nourish and rejuvenate skin.
– niacinamide: also known as vitamin B3 and nicotinic acid, niacinamide is a potent “cell-communicating” ingredient that restores aging skin and helps prevent moisture loss.
– sodium hyaluronate crosspolymer: has a smaller molecular weight than hyaluronic acid and is able to deeply penetrate skin, delivering excellent hydration and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while promoting firmness.
How To Use:
Use once weekly. Apply an even layer to clean, dry skin. Leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water, pat dry. Slight tingling may be experienced. Babyfacial is not recommended for use by pregnant or nursing mothers. Always check with your doctor before using any new products while pregnant or nursing.
I love this stuff! As the name implies, it really makes your skin baby soft. You do get a slight tingling effect which is nothing over the top but I didn’t experience any reaction or redness after using the Babyfacial. It manages to remove every dry patch that you have on the skin and leaves you with a beautiful smooth canvas. I always follow up with my usual skincare routine after using it and I skip on using other acids that day.
Have you tried anything from Drunk Elephant? Let me know what your favorite products from the brand are. As for me, I ended up loving everything that I’ve tried so far from the brand. Their products really work for my skin and has made it for the better. If I have to recommend a couple of products from them, I would go with the TLC Framboos Serum and the B Hydra Serum especially for people with dry and dehydrated skin. Also if you are looking for a good retinol cream, the new A Passioni is excellent.